Monday, November 14, 2005

Sufis Swarming My Head

So, I can tell that the great sufi poets have influenced a great deal in what I think about poetry. It's not as classically structured, who am I joking? I've always done what I want. But there is a density of quippy one-liners, similar to Thoreau as well. It almost always has heretical thoughts about the universe and God (read pantheism here), totally relies upon nature images and sensory illustrations, and has some type of spiritual/cosmic lesson to ponder. In some ways, it's quite a rut to be in creatively, in others, it's an amazing way to express those esoteric ponderings that are always brewing in my mind and heart.

Here's an example... (this could also be the influence of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and his Cosmic Christ/Light illustrations)

We exist as fractured light from a burning Source of Creation.
We never exist apart from that Star of Being.
Its light may bounce and bend until we lose sight of its brilliance.
Yet, our souls, those beams of natural light, cannot be,
Unless always tethered to the Sun.

Logos, a magnifying glass for the Truth of Being,
Concentrates the brilliance of creation into one single beam.
Logos Incarnate, the most beautiful of prisms,
Captures the intesnity of that solar flair within itself
And scatters the light in a million directions.

I know, burn me at the stake now. It's not done, yet, I don't think. If you haven't noticed, one part of the Trinity is absent... though in working of it, it's not so much the Spirit (the sense of that I hope is already conveyed in the first two sections) but us as the living representatives of Logos (and if you're not geeky enough, Logos is one way of talking about Christ in a cosmic way) today. I hope to end it with people of creation(God) being called to be extensions of that prism as best we can.

It's weird to be sharing some of this online. I've always been selective about what parts of my journaling I put online and what I leave to paper. I think paper is much more conducive to creative writing anyway. I'm currently working on something surrounding the Hebrew word nephesh which means life, spirit, well-being etc. It's a deeply rich word... like ruach which means breath, spirit, wind.

I'm also working on imagery with fog as cosmic mystery/tree as rooted faith/ and... something... maybe rolling stone? dandelion or helicopter seeds? as seeking faith. The seeking faith illustration is driving me nuts. Rolling stone is too cliche and too hard. Tumbleweed still pretty cliche and dead. Seeds, while perfect for connecting to the tree imagery would be weighed down by fog. I GOT IT! I think. What about a pine cone? Still connected to the tree... living with hope and promise of growth and life, and capable of going a long distance via many paths like animals/birds, storms, etc.

OK, now I'm rambling. Gotta go and do school work that I'm actually going into debt for and will hopefully get me a paying job someday.

No comments: