Thursday, December 22, 2005

Does God exist in the gaps of people's minds?

Some pipsqueek on one of the message boards I peruse was trying to give scientific evidence that God exists and that evolution is crap. What's interesting is that after a few posts (where he seemed to be responding to MEGA negative feedback), he started on the "can't we all just get along" schpeel.... my response is "don't be antagonistic if you don't want to be antagonized." Seriously. His evidence came from some very interesting sources, all of which were creationist/biblical literalist websites... most of which were using philosophic/logic rhetoric to "disprove" scientific theory.

What's interesting about that approach in my opinion is that it really is taking apples to compare oranges... completely different epistemological paradigm for contemporary scientific method than that type of thinking which is kinda pre-Newtonian. It's like using Newtonian physics to explain quantum physics.... of course there's going to be HUGE GAPING HOLES because the intial premise (the basic building blocks) is completely different.

While I was seething at home in front of my computer, I looked at his recommended websites, always curious to see what the other side is thinking, and started looking for alternative websites to offer. The atheist websites I browsed are either just as unhelpfully antagonistic or utterly vague. But then Wikipedia amazed me once again with a fairly thorough look at the different views on the Existence of God. I really appreciated it, helped me wrap my brain around the positions of atheism... which, as a devout theist, I've often had trouble understanding. So, I posted that as an alternative reading source... and no one has bothered me. Guess it didn't really offend anyone... huh. Go figure.

Just don't be trying to scientifically prove the existence of God to me, that riles me up. Wonder why, since I'm Kansas born and bred? :) Besides, I really don't see any point. I have all the proof I need, but it's not exactly measurable by scientific means. ;) Really, that guy did me a favor, I learned a few things I didn't know before, maybe I should thank him.

No comments: