Monday, December 19, 2005

kenpo, babies, and hot showers.

Sigh. Tonight I went to a karate class at my old "dojo"... It's a bit more small scale than that, but it's the people that make the dojo, not the space. I miss it terribly.

I actually abhor any other form of exercise. Well... that's not true... i just hate exercise for exercise's sake. I love martial arts/self-defense and I love hiking and backpacking and cross country skiing. I love the feeling of working out... but I hate walking in place for 1/2hour or lifting weights on a machine over the physical exercise of accomplishing a task or learning a new skill.

I miss the exhiliration of executing a move correctly or when the move doesn't happen the textbook way and you have think on your feet and kick their butt anyway. :) I miss the comraderie and the seniority of goading and encouraging people on... teaching a technique using different and new illustrations you thought up as well as the wisdom from your own teachers.

Contented sigh. I'm physically exhausted... I can feel the new strains and old ones surfacing, so off to the hot showers for me. Is it sick of me to say that I miss the aches and pains and bruises as well? :) My badges of honor, I guess. My head has been stuck in a book or in front of a computer the past 2 years, I don't even know where the time went.

Enough waxing. I babysat my friend's baby tonight. He's so wonderful... and even in his adorable polite perfect babyness, he wore me out. It takes so much patience and hyper-awareness to be responsible for little ones. I feel more ready than I was ever before, but the time has not yet come... if ever. We'll see. Until then, I'm content to be auntie Regan and hand over the tyke at the end of the night. :)

No comments: